How do you get back to your safe harbor when you’re under stress, when you’re confused, or when you feel as though time is not on your side?
Our Safe Harbors–We rarely notice them and often take them for granted but they are there in an instant when we need a quiet refuge or a shelter from the chaos of the day. A safe harbor is defined in nautical terms as a place where sailors can go to seek refuge and safety from a storm. This is a photo of Marblehead Harbor taken during a glorious sunset last July. It represents a serene, safe harbor which leads me to the point of this blog.
Think about this: A safe harbor can be a place to find peace and quiet, or a person who gives counsel or comfort. It can be a bowl of warm soup, a cup of tea, or even a piece of chocolate cake. A safe harbor can be a quiet walk with the dog, a good book, a workout at the gym or a Habit we fall back into when we’re under stress. A safe harbor can also be a State of Mind or a Simple Shift in Awareness.
Thinking about Marblehead Harbor this week reminded me that I have many safe harbors in my life but I don’t always see them in that way. They are Opportunities I take Time for and specific steps I take, that help me get back on track, that bring me back to solid ground, to a centered, focused state of mind.
- My husband and children are a safe harbor for me, especially when I need to be reminded to stop and delight in enjoying the life I have.
- My friends are a safe harbor when I need friendly conversation or an attitude adjustment.
- My home and environment provide a safe harbor for me. It is always so good to be home!
- Coaching is a safe harbor for me. I love helping women executives, entrepreneurs, professionals (and open-minded men) find creative solutions to resolving their issues quickly so they can achieve more success with their Life, Career and their Time.
Here is a quick Time Management Technique and 3 steps you can take to help you find your Safe Harbor, to regain your focus and take back your time:
Where do you go to seek shelter from the storms of your life? Do you take the time to seek a safe harbor when you need to? If you really stop and think about it, I bet you can list several safe harbors in your life. They could be personal or professional:
1. Recall the last time you were in a state of stress, chaos or confusion.
2. What were you thinking about when you were feeling this way?
3. What did you do to get yourself back on track to a state of serenity and focus? Did you seek shelter in a person, place or thing that helped you move out of the chaos? Or did you revert back to an old comfortable habit that kept you stuck in the confusion, and feeling worse about your situation?
If it’s truly a safe harbor you’ve found, it will give you a feeling of comfort, safety and peace of mind when you get there.
Have you ever considered your safest harbor lies within you? More in Part 2…
If you liked this Time Management Article, sign up for my EZINE where I share more Time Management Tips, Techniques, Tools and Strategies to help you Create and Save more Time!
Share your thoughts!
Where are your safe harbors? What do you do to get yourself back on track and out of a state of confusion or chaos? Sharing your thoughts here can help someone else who’s feeling lost in the chaos of life. Comment Here and share this article with your friends!